Swarthmore Friends of the Arts (FOA) is the volunteer organization responsible for the rotating art exhibits at the Borough Hall in Swarthmore, PA. Our mission is to encourage the free expression of all forms of art by local artists, and to exhibit these works in our Borough Hall for the enrichment and enlightenment of the community.
See the Info for Exhibitors page for more details on how to request a solo exhibit or apply for a group exhibit.
Adopted March 5, 2001
Amended March 31, 2003, March 21, 2005, and February 27, 2020.
Swarthmore Friends of the Arts (SFOA) shall be comprised of two groups: an Executive
Committee, and an Exhibition Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of:
- Publicity Committee Chair
- Exhibition Committee Chair
2. The Exhibition Committee shall be made up of the remaining general membership. Any
- Swarthmore resident may be a member upon request to the Executive Committee.
- Executive Committee members shall serve a one-year term that may be renewed annually by a majority vote of the membership.
- An annual meeting will be held each February to elect or re-elect the Executive Committee.
- Additional meetings will be held as called for by the President and/or other officers.
- All funds accruing to SFOA shall be deposited in a local bank to be maintained by the Treasurer.
- Two signatures, the Treasurer’s and the President’s shall be on file at the bank. Both signatures shall be required to liquidate the account.
- In scheduling solo exhibitions, preference will be given to Swarthmore residents.
- For use of the exhibition space $40 per show and 10 percent of the gross revenues from sales shall be paid to SFOA to help defray expenses.
- Art accepted for exhibition must fit the designated viewing space in Borough Hall and be compatible with the primary uses of the building. It must not present a safety hazard, nor should it alter or damage the building in any way.
- The Exhibition Committee will make decisions regarding the acceptability of artwork. If a resolution cannot be achieved with the artists, then a final decision will be made by a simple majority vote of the SFOA membership.
- The Exhibition Committee in consultation with the Swarthmore Borough Manager will review any questions regarding structural issues.
- These by-laws may be amended or added to at any time by a majority vote of the Executive Committee.